2016 has been a busy year and much has been achieved, the major work listed here (there are countless other items that have occupied them) has been augmented with some financial support for local activities and events.
- Monthly newsletter published and local Facebook page maintained
- Halloween Ball organized and Street entertainment supported
- Defibrillator Group – retraining and strengthening of group
- SVP food collection at Christmas
- CCTV – project was completed and handed over to the Garda
- Public Participation Network (PPN) – First of the network meetings took place (namely Joint Policing)
- St Patrick’s Day – parade successfully organized
- BlueWay Kayaking Festival – though it didn’t take place a huge amount of work was done.
- April’s Spring Clean – the village was spruced up in time for the summer
- Fastnet Trails expansion – walks identified, funding sourced for signage
- Butter Road – improvements and maintenance
- Fastnet Film Festival – pre-festival clean up
- Calves Week – marshaling and supervision for nightly prize giving, early morning clean-ups
- Intensive canvasing of Ministers, TD’s, Public Representatives and local government agencies about the lack of economic investment in local ‘spade ready’ projects such as the Community Amenity building, harbour development and others.
Ongoing projects and concerns for 2017
- Traffic and Parking
- Playground maintenance
- Litter and rubbish
- Derelict buildings on the Main Street.
- Graveyard memorial wall
- Community Garden
- Safe pathway up to N.S. Scoil Mhuire (suitable ramps in church grounds)
- ‘Where are they now”? Survey through SCC of past students (TY project)
- Completion and expansion of Schull walks.
As you can see, our community council does work very hard. If you have any concerns or would like to contact the S&DCC the email is firstname.lastname@example.org.